Friday, May 29, 2009

The Chaotic Day

Well, if you were expecting me to report how smoothly my life flows, you'll be in for an entertaining surprise - especially today! I'm recuperating from yesterday, which was one of the more chaotic days I've had in a while. It started with #1 (age 8) being a little late for school because he would NOT get out of bed. Julian took #1 to school, then headed to SLC to meet with some retailers for work. After he was gone, I went in my room/bathroom for about 5 minutes to get dressed so we could head out to get groceries for my mother-in-law, who can't get out due to failing health. Soon #3 comes in (age 3) with black ink all over his hands proudly saying something about drawing a picture on the wall, cheerfully saying "follow me" and reaching for my hand with a big, proud smile on his face. I fearfully followed him to the kitchen/dining room, where he had drawn, with black permanent marker, a long line along all of my oak cupboards and drawers, as well as along the entire length of my dining room wall. Ugh!! Some scrubbing got about half the ink off the cupboards, but it will NOT budge off the wall. I can't say that I appreciated the artwork with a smile and a hug for him - he got the dickens - with love, but he clearly understands that drawing on the walls is not an option - and the permanent markers are out of the pen drawer and have found a new home 6 feet up.

After errands to 2 banks, shopping for groceries, a separate stop at the pharmacy, then to Nana's to drop off her food and medications, then stopping to pick up #1 and the carpool with an already "full of kids" car, we went home for a late lunch. I asked the kids to wash up while I fixed some food. About 5 minutes later (5 seems to be the magic number), #2 (age 5) came out of the bathroom with a wet shirt - I didn't think much of it, just that he had splashed himself while washing his hands. We had a fairly calm lunch, except that #4 (age 19 months) had only had a 10 minute nap in the car between stops, so she was tired and cranky. Julian came home about an hour later and went into the bathroom - and came out reporting "our bathroom is flooded!"

#2 had used his hand to push against the rushing faucet, and had sprayed the entire bathroom with LOTS of water - covered the counter, floors, filled the top drawer with about an inch of water, and the cabinet under the sink with about 1/2 inch. Ugh! Having the water stand so long made the bottoms of the drawers and cupboards start warping, and everything had to be emptied and wiped out.

Then we went as a family to #1's baseball game, (which according to my calendar started at 6:30, but on everyone else's calendar started at 7:30! Ugh!) So Julian and the boys stayed at the ball park to play and wait for the game to start, and I took #4 home to make Nana the fruit shake I had forgotten to bring her, while #4 slept in her car seat because the drive finally made her fall asleep - bummer because late naps keep her up late at night. Then I stopped by a baby shower for one of my old Laurels, then back to the ball park to pick up Ju and the boys (who had started walking home because I was 10 minutes late).

We got home, got the kids ready for bed, but they got in bed an hour late. Then Julian left to spend the night at his mom's, since she is having trouble being alone at night. Whew!!

I felt like the entire day I was either rushing or cleaning something up which made me late and rushing even more. But here is the bright side: 1) I get to prime and paint my dining room a color other than the "bachelor white" that my husband loves - any suggestions?, 2) the top drawer in my bathroom is sorted, cleaned and organized, 3) Julian got some great quality time playing with the boys at the playground during that extra hour before the game, and 4) other days will seem mild in comparison. Just trying to look on the bright side!

No comments:

Post a Comment